machu picchu, peru
Join us this May in Peru on this once in a lifetime bucket list adventure.
May 28-June 5, 2016
Imagine trekking up to Machu Picchu, in the middle of the night, in order to see the sunrise over its peaks.
Imagine zip lining, bicycling, and rafting your way there, over 4 days.
Imagine daily yoga and meditation on the trail.
Imagine relaxing in natural mountain hot springs after a day of amazing trekking.
Imagine lazy days in Cusco, eating , tasting, walking, dreaming.
Imagine humanitarian volunteering.
Imagine meeting with the beautiful locals.
Imagine new friendships.
This unique 9 day adventure has been designed to include a combination of varied activities serving mind, body, and soul, for an unforgettable and transformative inner and outer adventure. Cusco city lounging and exploring, Urubamba River rafting. mountain bicycling, jungle zip lining, and challenging trekking, all to arrive at Machu Picchu in time for sunrise, to capture the sun rays rising amongst the ancient Incan ruins and mountain peaks. We will practice inspirational daily yoga and meditation on the trail, led by the amazing founder of EarthFoodYoga, Melissa Renzi. We will also participate in respectful cultural immersion, and engage in an incredible humanitarian activity that will benefit the local culture. All of this is in place for you to successfully adventure your body, mind, and soul, and consciously enjoy this adventure trip of a lifetime.
Outfitted by a local award-winning sustainable tourism expedition team.
$1500 per person or $1300 if you sign up with a friend!
$500 nonrefundable deposit now.
Payment plans available! Inquire through email.
Space is limited.
This all inclusive trip includes:
All accomodations in city hotels and adventure hostels
All train and bus travel in Peru (from Cusco)
Daily yoga & meditation
Cuzco city eco-tour
All sherpa services
All fresh delicious local meals (vegetarian-only during trek/vegan option available at no extra cost)
International airfare into Lima, Peru (www.kayak.com)
Round trip domestic flight Lima-Cuzco ($170)
Travel insurance (Insurance Services of America)
- May 28: Arrive into Lima, domestic flight to Cuzco, dinner and hotel in Cuzco
- May 29: Breakfast, opening circle/trip orientation, yoga, acclimate to altitude, Cuzco city eco-tour, cultural immersion activity, meditation, dinner and hotel in Cuzco
- May 30: Breakfast, yoga, Spanish class, continue acclimatization, free day in Cuzco, meditation, dinner and hotel in Cuzco
- May 31: Depart early for Inca Jungle Trek to Machu Picchu, breakfast, private van to Malaga Pass (14,160 ft), 34 mile bicycle adventure decent down mountain to Huamanmarca, 30 minute bus to Santa Maria, lunch, rafting through jungle, evening yoga/meditation, dinner, overnight in hostel. During this part of the journey, you will experience the beauty of the snow-capped mountains and their fast-changing climate from a dry cold to a humid heat
- June 1: After a delicious early breakfast, we will begin our first day of the trekking course to Santa Teresa at 6 AM. The first 2 hours of our tour is an ascent, but there will be various stops in order to learn a bit more about the rich variety of flora and fauna that can be found in the region we are in. One of these stops will be a family house where we will rest and supply ourselves with more water and some regional tropical fruit. After resting for a bit, we will cross a section of the Inca Trail that historically connected Machupicchu with the city of Vilcabamba, and learn about the history of the Incas, as well as the system of communication that existed during that time. At this point, we will also see one of the most impressive views in all of the Huancarccasa Canyon. Afterwards, we will descend to the small town of Quellomayo where we will stop to eat lunch and rest in the near-by hammocks. We then continue 2 more hours on foot to the thermal baths of Cocalmayo, where you will have plenty of time to enjoy the naturally heated water of the baths. Then we will continue on to the final destination of the day, Santa Teresa, for dinner and yoga/meditation, and will spend our second night in a basic hostel.
June 2: Breakfast, begin the trekking course to Aguas Calientes at approximately 7 AM. We will walk for 3 hours in the Aobamba Valley. Lunch will be included along the path and we will have the opportunity to see a series of waterfalls and admire the majesty of the mountains surrounding Machupicchu and Haynapicchu. Here you will also have the opportunity to see an astronomical sundial used by the Incans, as well as other constructions such of the Incan citadel of Machupicchu. After 3 hours of walking, we will arrive in Aguas Calientes alongside the train tracks that lead to the small town, and then zip line. Dinner, yoga/meditation, overnight in basic hostel.
- June 3: This is the most important day of the tour – the day that we arrive to one of the 7 Wonders of the World! This day will begin very early in the morning in order to be able to watch the sun rise over the Incan citadel of Machupicchu. We begin the ascent from Aguas Calientes to Machupicchu at 4:30 AM, with the option of hiking the 1,500 Incan steps or paying a $12 bus fare to reach the citadel.
Enjoy a 2-hour tour of the ruins and the most important temples within the ancient city. Afterwards, you will be free to explore Machupicchu yourself. Packed lunch. We will then return to Aguas Calientes (via stairs or bus) in order to take a return train back to Cusco. Dinner, yoga/meditation, overnight in Cuzco hotel.
- June 4: Last day of the trip. Morning yoga, breakfast, participate in a humanitarian project in Cuzco, lunch, free afternoon in Cuzco for last minute shopping and exploring. Closing circle, dinner, and overnight in Cuzco hotel.
- June 5: Breakfast, say goodbye 🙁 🙁 early domestic flights back to Lima, international connections
Please note: Due to the nature of this trip, the accommodations on the trek are basic. Hotel accommodations in Cuzco will have more amenities. Participants must be prepared for a decent level of physical fitness. This trip is designed for all levels.
To reserve your space, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A $500 nonrefundable deposit is required to reserve your space. This is paid via Paypal.
Please email first to confirm that space is available before making deposit.
Why travel with Enlightened Globetrekker Adventures?
Learn more about the Enlightened Globetrekker mission and philosophy here:
Meet your guides
Melissa Noel Renzi
Melissa Renzi is a 200-hour yoga teacher, social worker, self-taught health chef, and world traveler currently based in Chicago, Illinois. She uses outdoor adventure, cooking, and yoga as tools for teaching self-care. Melissa advocates a return to ritual and a curious mind to heal trauma, manage pain, and embody the highest expression of who we are. Melissa teaches yoga in the style of “vinyasa flow” (breath-synchronized movement) that balances alignment with self-paced movement. She encourages students to listen to their bodies to awaken the senses while cultivating equanimity in the mind. Her own healing and personal transformation led her to create EarthFoodYoga, which offers experiences near and far that connect us with self, others, and the planet.
Crystal Blue Mascaro
Founder, Enlightened Globetrekker Adventures
Avid adventurer, world traveler, cultural anthropologist, expedition guide, writer, yogi, life lover
Crystal created Enlightened Globetrekker Adventures: Adventures for the Body, Mind, and Soul in order to encourage the accessibility of an inspirational lifestyle for all, internally and externally, focusing on travel, adventure, nature, grounded living, culture and equality, simplicity, humanitarian spirit, balance, honoring the heart, and achieving and experiencing happiness, success, freedom, and dreams. Crystal has become an international figure from her mindful living articles found on elephant journal that represent global parenting, mindful travel, and conscious perspective. From this, Enlightened Globetrekker was born. Crystal now plays an active role in directing Enlightened Globetrekker affairs, designs and leads retreats around the world, practices yoga daily, and raises 8 year old daughter River. Last year Crystal was living in the South Pacific. Having just completed a world tour, she has now made her home base in Tulum, Mexico.
See you in Peru!!!
Love, Crystal & Melissa